Friday, August 5, 2011

Catwoman of the Dark Knight Rises (First Look and Movie Trailer)



I have an entirely different post I had to write for today but after seeing the first look of the third sequel of the Batman movie, the Dark Knight Rises, I decided I have waited for this movie long enough it's just have to be my first post of the day!


(Anne Hathaway: First Look of Catwoman in the Dark Knight Rises)


(Anne Hathaway: First Look of Catwoman in the Dark Knight Rises)

For the third sequel of the Dark Knight movie, the original cast under Christopher Nolan's direction namely: Christian Bale (Dark Knight), Gary Oldman (Lt. James Gordon), Morgan Freeman (Lucius Fox) and Michael Caine (Alfred) will be joined by new characters like Anne Hathaway (Catwoman), Joseph Gordon Levitt (John Blake), Marion Cotillard (Miranda Tate) and Tom Hardy (Bane).






Eversince I first saw Catwoman in the television series of Batman played by actress Julie Newmar I know I will have a long standing admiration for this beautiful villain. Since then several actresses followed her footsteps and one who wished she didn't take the role (cough cough Halle Berry). In fairness to Halle Berry she accepted her Worst Actress Award in person and acknowledged the fact that the movie did not stand at par to her credibility as an Academy Award winner. Berry's Catwoman version received a rotten tomato standing of 10% and an audience rating of 34% ,

So let's go back to the good if not great and legendary Catwoman versions. Julie Newmar set up the standard of what we should expect from Catwoman, which is somebody who has beauty and brains (in real-life Newmar graduated at the age of 15) albeit a distorted character. She is one of those few villains I just find hard to hate. Similar to the story of most villains, a tragic incident forced Catwoman to think and do the unimaginable and take on her darker side.

My respect for the character deepened after Michelle Pfeiffer potrayed the vixen villain in the 1992 Batman movie "Batman returns". The chemistry among the characters especially between Penguin and Catwoman was just demented. Who could forget that scene where Catwoman literally swallows Penguin's (well I don't know how else to say this...) "bird" (Oh you know what I mean!)? Wasn't that scene full of tension (well for me sexual tension)? And that for me was one of the memorable scenes where I began to appreciate villains and the complexity of their personalities which in turn I think gave rise to villains you just love to be bad like the Joker (Heath Ledger), the Penguin (Danny DeVito) and many more.

Anne Hathaway is not my first choice in mind for the character of Catwoman. I will be biased about this but I think Angelina would have played the role better (Doesn't Newmar and Jolie have a similar sinister look in the pictures below or is it just my imagination!). But then come to think of it Jolie being too popular and those signature lips would have made Jolie the center of attention rather than Catwoman. Just by looking at those lips behind the mask I mean who wouldn't recognize that!






Julie Newmar (First Catwoman/1960's Batman Television Series)

(Angelina Jolie in leather)






My vote actually goes to Underworld Star, Kate Beckinsale. I mean she has already proven that she can wear a black leather jumpsuit be drop-dead gorgeous and do her physical stunts. And she is the perfect height (not too tall)!But alas, that will all be wishful thinking now.

So just like all Catwoman fans out there plus a gigantic expectation since the last Dark Knight movie, I am sure everyone following this trilogy are all excited to see the first look of the upcoming The Dark Knight Rises Warner Brother movie.






Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment