Saturday, September 26, 2015

Rosanjin Restaurant: The Art of Tobanyaki & Kaminabe (A Review)

My family and I have been big fans of everything and anything Japanese for as long as I can remember. Because we have eaten in so many Japanese restaurants already, it would be unusual for us to be surprised by a Japanese dish. That is until I discovered the kaminabe and tobanyaki dishes at Rosanjin.

Rosanjin Green Tea Ice Cream
Rosanjin Green Tea Ice Cream

I've always imagined what it would feel like to taste one of the dishes prepared in Shokugeki no Soma. Rosanjin's kaminabe and tobanyaki dishes made me think I am trying one. To be as close to that feeling while eating is indeed very satisfying. Please indulge this humble consumer as I share with you my dining experience at Rosanjin.


While waiting for the main dish, I first tried their kani salad as a starter. The salad looked fresh and appetizing but no surprise in the taste there. It is how I expected my kani salad to look and taste like. It is a good way to start any meal.

Rosanjin Kani Salad
Rosanjin Kani Salad

I usually eat sushi or maki next but as I watch the soup boil from the sukiyaki kaminabe I couldn't wait to sample it next. What makes the sukiyaki in Rosanjin different is of course its cooking method. Like I've said I had sukiyaki several times but this is the first time I am eating one cooked on top of paper (kaminabe-style). Yes paper! The paper does not burn, the soup does not leak from the paper and the flame is blue. How did that happen?


Rosanjin Sukiyaki Kaminabe
Rosanjin Sukiyaki Kaminabe

I did not fully comprehend the explanation given by the staff of Rosanjin on how it works. From what I understood, the paper used is basically your normal Japanese paper. The candle is made from gel and has no wick. Finally, we should not drain the soup or else the paper will start burning. 

How does the sukiyaki taste? Sugoi! (Amazing!). The novelty of cooking it on top of Japanese paper that does not burn even when there's blue flame underneath it added to the experience of eating a good sukiyaki meal. 

Another favourite of mine is the Australian Rib Steak tobanyaki. Tobanyaki is a method of cooking in earthenware or ceramic plate. Note that in Japan food preparation can be considered an art. As I mentioned at the beginning, I am recently watching Shokugeki no soma and I'm imagining Nikumi-chan preparing this meal for me. Although that imagined scenario was brief because the chef who brought out this meal for us was male.

Rosanjin Australian Beef Tobanyaki
Rosanjin Australian Beef Tobanyaki


The ceramic plate retains the heat even after you remove the fire. Thus, the plate keeps your food warm. I don't think there will be any concern of food getting cold because the meat is so tender and juicy that you won't notice how much you've eaten until its gone.

The Japanese are not really big on chocolates (huhuhu) and they can have the weirdest combinations with chocolate (just search weird Kitkat flavors or weird Japanese desserts). Rosanjin offers a more conventional selection when it comes to desserts. Making use of staple ingredients such as green tea, sesame and red mongo. Think dango (which also reminds me of Clannad). 

Our dessert was the Japanese parfait. I'm not a big fan of ice cream (unless its chocolate or pistachio) so I'd say it was just okay. However, the presentation is really eye-catching. The different colours you see in this parfait will make you want to try it at least once. Dango is usually served with green tea so this parfait is also a twist from tradition where green tea is served as ice cream instead of a drink.

Rosanjin Japanese Parfait
Rosanjin Japanese Parfait


As for customer satisfaction, Rosanjin definitely deserves another visit. My eyes are set on their sushi and sashimi platter next time.

If you want to visit Rosanjin, you can find them on the 3rd floor of Mega Fashion Hall, SM Megamall, Ortigas, Mandaluyong. 



No comments:

Post a Comment